Jan 29, 2013

Anthropologie Rosette Round Pilliow Knock-Off


This is a repost of week 3 SYTYC. Week 4 is up and I'd really appreciate if you'd hop over and vote for your favorite! Everyone that has guessed so far has gotten mine right! Can you figure mine out this week??

I just got this new bedding from Anthro when they were having their huge after Christmas sale. I am obsessed to say the least. I love it so so much. And when I saw the email about the new rosette pillow I died. It's adorable. But, I knew I could make it for much cheaper. $78 for a small accent pillow wasn't going to happen any time soon. Especially when I made my knock-off for F-R-E-E. It's true. I had the fabric, stuffing, & thread all on hand. Thank heavens for a lovely friend who loaned me her sewing machine for the day. You're a peach :)




 First cut a pattern. I used a piece of yarn tied to a pencil to get an exact circle. Cut the yarn to half the size you want your actual circle to be and then draw your circle from the corner of the paper. Fold your fabric in quarters and line up your pattern. Cut & this should get you a perfect circle. I wanted my pillow to be around 18ish inches ha so my yarn was 9 in. This piece is the back of your pillow.



Now, you will cut the strips for the middle section of the pillow. I did mine 4" by as much fabric as I could get out of my scraps. I wish I had a little more than I did so that I could make it more ruched. Just make sure you have at least double the fabric to go around the circle. I just used all that I had left which was about double :) I also had to stitch the strips together so make one long strip, but it doesn't matter because you can hide those seams in the pleats. I don't have a picture of the next step but you will need to ruffle at least one side of this long strip. You can do both, but I just ruffled one side and then pinned then other.


Then, you will need to get the front of your pillow ready. Cut out a strip that is 9"(or however big you want your pillow to be.) by as long as you can get it. Mine was 40". Again I think I would have like it to have more pleating so I would have loved a little big more fabric, but I was working with what I already had. Sew a running stitch along the bottom like we did here. and gather the fabric as you sew. You can do this by hand or on a sewing machine.

When you get to the end, sew the ends together, right sides together. Again, you can sew by hand or with a sewing machine.
For the middle of the pillow, I cut about a 4" circle from the scraps and stitched it right to the middle of the rosette. I just hand stitched it all together on the inside.





Now you're ready to start assembling the pillow. Take the middle piece and pin it, right sides together onto your front piece. See how only one side is ruffled but it automatically ruffles the other. It worked for me, but if you are more of a perfectionist you might want to ruffle both sides. Sew the middle section to your front.

 
You're almost there! Take the piece you just made and pin the middle to the back piece, right sides together, making sure to pleat as you pin (if you haven't already). Make sure you leave a pretty good sized hole to stuff the pillow if you are not using a pillow form. Sew all the way around until you get to your hole. Flip your pillow right side out, and stuff the pillow full. You'll want to use more batting than you think to make a firm pillow. Hand stitch, or liquid stitch the hole closed and you are finished with your Anthro look-a-like!








I'm so glad I've been a part of this competition, it's allowed me to be creative and get those projects done I've been wanting to do for ages!

18 comments:

  1. Love this pillow! Looks great! I'd love for you to share this tutorial with my readers by linking up to my new linky party! I definitely want to make one of these!!
    Http://snappeeturtle.com/show-off-your-shell-link-part-2/

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follwer here. LOVE THIS! I'm bookmarking it to make some day! I love the gorgeous yellow color, too

    ReplyDelete
  3. L-O-V-E it!! Great color choice too! ;) Nicely done!!
    Pinning ... thanks for sharing!!

    ~Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pillow so much! Thanks for the tut, I'll have to try one out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very inspired by this, I like yours just as well as the original - maybe more. Thanks heaps for sharing.

    Cheers
    Lori
    coolgreendays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! My bed might need one of these! I'll be featuring this on my blog tomorrow!

    http://www.sumossweetstuff.com

    Thanks for linking up!
    Sumo:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is what I've been looking for to go in my sunroom! Iagree, F R E E is a whole lot better than $$$.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love just about anything Anthro inspired and this pillow is gorgeous!
    I'd love for you to come over and share at Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party
    http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/finding-the-pretty-delicious-linky-party-3/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I'm pretty sure my living room couch needs one of these! I'll be featuring it tomorrow at Creations by Kara. Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is super cute! I'd love for you to come link this up at my Tuesday Time Out!
    Melanie Reasons To Skip The Housework

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like yours way more than the Anthro one! The mustard yellow is perfect and your sewing work looks better.
    Sunny
    www.lakeluv.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this!!! Featuring it today!

    xoxo, Mallory

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this great pillow tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found this amazing tutorial Im a bit confused on how to put the middle rossette part on(the 4inch circle ) help?!? lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Easy to follow this DIY tutorial for any beginner…. thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love to hear from you :)