Jul 11, 2011

Ruffly Onesie Dress

We've had a lot of cute babies being born the last couple months, so I've had the chance to make a lot of fun presents for them :) Here is another little gift, that isn't expensive and is very easy to make. So maybe I'm such procrastinator that half the time I remember the shower the morning of. And maybe I make presents up until the minute before I leave...I'm not the only one right?? Anyways here is a little outfit that will look adorable on any baby, including my own (Why do I always make other kids cute stuff while my own children look a little like orphans?? Sad. My next tutorial will be a little something I made for my own child. Mark my words. Or don't.)
Photobucket
1. Start out by buying a plain onesie, and some cute fabric. I chose jersey knit because it's super comfy for those newborns. This tutorial is for 18 month onesies, so measure accordingly.Cut your jersey strips 5-5.5 inches by 4 times the width of your onesie. You want to make sure that once you ruffle the fabric, it will be long enough to wrap all the way around.
Photobucket
2.Ruffle your strips of jersey by setting your machine on the highest length of stitch possible. Mine is a 6. I also adjusted the tension and my jersey ruffled up nicely by itself.
Photobucket
3. Once your strips are ruffled, check to make sure they are the right length. Then, sew it, right sides together. Now you should have a ruffled tube of fabric.
Photobucket
4. Pin your ruffles down onto the onesie where you want them placed. *Tip: I like the ruffles to dip a little lower in the back to accomadate for the diapers...And cute little buns :)
Photobucket
5.Sew your ruffles on with a zig-zag stitch, and pair it with a matching bow and Taggie Blanket and you have the perfect little shower gift!
Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. i made something like this for ~S~ when she was a baby. It's so fun and easy to made cute stuff for the little ones. Cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I am totally the same way with making cute things for showers and never for my own kiddos. One day... One day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should get together and sew!!! You live so close and all and I need a buddy to motivate me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! You are so crafty! I am totally going to have to make these for my nieces. I might need help on making the ruffles though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! I'm not big on onesies, but I love little shirts for the baby, which would also work great in turning the shirts into a dress! :) Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have that same leafy looking fabric. How funny :P Super cute.

    Ali
    www.foundintheali.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally cute! i love ruffley onesies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! New follower from Someday Crafts!
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! I wish I knew someone having a girl! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so Cute! I just added it to my crafting bucket list!
    A new blogger from... http://gluegunsanddryerlint.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did you get your fabric? I just got home from the fabric store and they didn't have any jersey knit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a little lost. Did you ruffle the fabric by pulling the thread or did you use an elastic thread in your machine?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey friends! Thank you thank you for visiting and taking time to comment. If any of you make these please shoot me an email I'd love to see! Julie: I get my fabric at a place called SAS here in AZ but I also have found some at Hobby Lobby and JoAnns. You're local fabric store should carry jersey? I hope you find some! And greentornadosky: I actually used regular thread and didn't have to pull the ruffles because my tension was set high and the stitches were set as long as they could. If you have any other questions please let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hello
    just wanted to let you know that I have mentioned this post on my blog. If you wish for me to remove any material please let me know.

    thanks http://eatcraftsow.blogspot.com/2011/07/link-party-like-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. What type of needle did you use? I had read that ballpoint is best with jersey knit materials. I've never worked with jersey, though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I made a onesie gown for my newborn to wear home from the hospital, but it barely fit over her head... How do you sew the ruffles to the onesie, and still have room for it to stretch? Thanks in advance!
    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Made this for a friend daughter but tried it on my son first. Can't get it over the head. what did I do wrong?
    ~lili

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love to hear from you :)