Sep 12, 2013

How to create you're own shape for the Silhouette..

Have you ever wanted your own shape for the silhouette and couldn't find the right one?? This is one way you can achieve just that. I wanted to make star magnets for a project I've been working on. I also wanted them to be glitter. I didn't really feel like pulling out actual glitter for fear of glitter spreading throughout my entire house for the rest of ever. So. I bought some of the chunky glitter 12x12 paper from Hobby Lobby. This paper is the cutest. And it was half off. Score! While I was at Hobby Lobby I picked up some small round magnets and some wooden cut out stars. I got everything for half off or used my 40% coupon. fabulous.

Now, I wanted to cut a star using my silhouette, but the star had rounded corners and wasn't perfectly shaped. I knew I would never be able to find a match in the online store so I decided to make my own! And here is how I did it.

First, I traced my star shape on a piece of paper.


Then, I scanned the paper onto my computer. Open up silhouette software and click import. This is what you will see.



Then click "object" and then "Trace" 

This will bring up the side menu. Click the top right box that says "select trace area".


Create a box around the object you want to trace. In this case our star...Then click on the right side "Trace and Detach"



Now you can move the paper away from the star and delete. We now have our shape to cut out! 


Now go to cut style and click "cut edges" And you will get a perfectly cut shape that will match perfectly with your project! So exciting. I can't believe it's taken me this long to take advantage of the Silhouette. It's life changing people. 


And look how cute they turned out! Perfect for my project I've been working on. And also perfect for hanging up the girl's artwork. 

And just in case you happen to buy the little stars from Hobby Lobby and you would like to use your silhouette to cover them too, you can right click this picture and use it in your software :) Happy day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! I love to hear from you :)